Railway operators face a triple challenge on a daily basis:
- Service availability
- Reliability of the equipment
- Efficiency of maintenance
One of the complexities lies in the heterogeneity of rolling stock. While recent equipment has advanced self-diagnostics features, intelligent sensors, real-time notifications of the train status, many trains were put into service 10 years ago, 20 years or more, while some technologies did not exist yet.
IoT for rolling stock
IoT technologies make it possible to bridge the disparities between train generations. Thanks to autonomous wireless sensors, on-board diagnostics are expanded, predictive maintenance become feasible on devices that were not intended for it.
- Small and robust, IoT sensors can be positioned close to the equipment
- Running on battery, their installation is facilitated
- Wireless, they communicate with long range radio networks and/or are connected to train’s network
STIMIO has developed a rail certified offer that combines sensors, autonomous communicating boxes, and communication gateways to forward the data the train network and to long range radio networks such as LPWAN or classical telecom cellular networks.